Fakarava, French Polynesia vacation. Picture taken by my friend Vahinerii.

"Our Oasis in the desert is our family."

Monday, September 14, 2009

12 years ago...


We were married for Time and All Eternity in the beautiful and historical Salt Lake Temple in Utah. 
Our meeting was like the words to one of Ty's favorite U2 songs:
The Sweetest Thing "...Blue-eyed boy and this brown-eyed girl."  Lol.
I came to the US to pursue an education in Graphic Design/ Art (using computers) after being schooled in fine art by very traditional French art professors in Tahiti.  This was my first time coming to America. 
Ty and I met at a church dance.....oh the sweetest thing!  For the record, my sister and I love to dance and NO I was not "shopping" I was just merely having fun - dancing.  Back in the island days as soon as we were of age to attend church dances and friends "booms" we would faithfully go with a group of friends and dance the night away.  Fun times!
So I guess it was meant to be that I would meet my Prince at a "ball"....oh the sweetest thing!  According to Ty we met Friday Dec.13, 1996 (I still haven't verified that precious detail).  So Mr. Romantic thought it would be cool to remember that date and get married in Dec on the 13th....oh the sweetest thing!  However that date changed due to the fact that I had 2 other sisters getting married that same year '97.  One wedding in Tahiti and two in the US.  Financially we decided it would be best to have our wedding the week after my sister's so that my parents would be there and not have to go home and turn around and come back.  Plus the idea of a winter wedding was pretty but brrr cold for a surfer dude and an island girl!  Coincidentally the week after my sister's wedding was the 13th, may be not Dec.13th but Sept.13th so I guess 13 is our lucky number ;) 
...oh the sweetest thing!
Ty, thank you for being a wonderful friend, husband and father.  I appreciate our journey together.
Happy Anniversary to us "Blue-eyed boy and Brown-eyed girl!" 
I LOVE YOU!

PS:  this is a picture of a picture since I have issues with my scanner right now.  Enjoy.

5 comments:

Kista said...

I love the story! Congrats on 12 years.....

Thefab4 said...

HAPPY ANNV.!!!!! :)

Olivia Goldman said...

Congratulations on twelve years of wedded bliss!

Tracy said...

Happy 12th Anniversary!!! to the lovely island girl and cool surfer dude!
The water park trip looks like a blast and love Joshua's hairdo!

Lois said...

Felicitations!!! BTW, looked in my journal and I can verify that you guys did meet on Dec 13th, 2006 at the Cottonwood Dance! I was there in person and witnessed it all! Great memories! : )