Fakarava, French Polynesia vacation. Picture taken by my friend Vahinerii.

"Our Oasis in the desert is our family."

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Is there such a thing as a GIANT Baby Carrot?


Well look what I found when I opened a bag of BABY carrots? A giant baby carrot or should I call it a "Toddler" carrot. It was in the middle of the bag concealed by all the other normal size Baby carrots. I just happened to grab a handful and out came this honker!
Now call me "foreigner" or "islander" because for a long time I thought Baby carrots were actually miniature sized carrots (perfect for the Easter bunny right). Hey, when farmers and scientists start playing around with food or plants crossing this tree with that tree and what not it's hard to keep track of things.
Anyway it was only last year while watching the Discovery channel that I was ENLIGHTEN!
So to my fellow friends & family who grew up on an island just for your information: Baby carrots are carrots of approximately two inches (5.08 cm) in length, which are sold packed into plastic bags. They are very popular as snacks, often eaten raw with ranch dressing or another type of dip. Baby carrots are actually NOT miniature-sized carrots. Instead, they are full-sized carrots with imperfections, which, instead of being discarded, are cut into small segments and peeled, which turns them into ready-to-eat portions. Got it? GOOD.
Now what should I do with this beauty? Eat it or should I sell it on EBay to some crazy buyer? Carrots!? Let the bidding begin! Jk :)

5 comments:

Margo said...

Wow I never knew that thanks for enlightening me on that subject. I think you should definitely sell it on Ebay and get some money out of it.

Tracy said...

hahaha, too funny. I think you should eat the whole honker!!!
Thanks for the info, I actually didn't know that baby carrots were cut and peeled from large carrots.

Unknown said...

That is crazy. lol But don't feel bad I thought baby carrots were actually baby carrots too. Seems like a waste to cut down regular carrots. Hm.. I definitely think ebay is the way to go. hahaha

blw said...

Whoa nelly! My kids don't believe me when I told them that you can turn orange if you eat too many carrots. I guess they would have to eat about 40 of your giant carrots!

Summertime Designs said...

I would look at that carrot and think, "I'm gonna make me a carrot cake! (Or carrot cupcake)." I always thought baby carrots were just regular carrots that were cut down to size for snacking purposes. But I didn't know they were the ones that started out as having imperfections!