Fakarava, French Polynesia vacation. Picture taken by my friend Vahinerii.

"Our Oasis in the desert is our family."

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Sorry for the silence...
I have neglected our blog for a good reason: Family comes first.

A few months ago my Dad was diagnosed with cancer: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He went to his doctor for something else and came out with the shocking news that he had this form of cancer. As far as we know, cancer is something that does not run in our family's health history. We know of heart problems and other but not cancer.
After a few tests, he was told that the cancer was already at a stage 4 and spreading from his leg/groin area to his abdomen! The cancer doc' (we too) couldn't believe that it was not caught sooner.

There are so many cancers out there. To better understand this particular cancer, please check out this link http://www.merck.com/ (thanks Doctor Don. S.), go to quick find and type in Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Anyway, my sister (who lives in Mesa) and I would receive email updates (on our Dad) from our siblings/family in Tahiti. We also called home a few times to talk to our parents, especially our father. These past few months have been an emotional roller coaster ride...it was frustrating to be so far away and to only hear or read things. Thanks to prayers, family fasts, putting our father's name on the Temple prayer roll the distance between families seemed closer. I remember after fasting as a family, my siblings and I received the same answer: Peace.
Also I felt the prayers & support of caring friends, relatives and family and without a doubt I felt the support of a loving Heavenly Father during this trial which was not only for our father to bear but for us (family) as well.

No comments: